[Development] How to run QtBase autotests on a remote machine?

Kari Oikarinen kari.oikarinen at qt.io
Thu Apr 12 08:02:21 CEST 2018

On 11.04.2018 15:06, Edward Welbourne wrote:
 > Alexander Richardson (11 April 2018 10:13)
 >> I am currently trying to get Qt to work on the CHERI CPU
 >> (http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/research/security/ctsrd/cheri/cheri-faq.html)
 >
 > Sounds interesting.
 >
 >> I have now managed to get the first few unit tests to build and run as
 >> CHERI pure capability programs
 >
 > Impressive :^>
 >
 >> so I would like to run the full test suite.
 >
 > Makes sense.
 >
 >> Currently I build the tests and then scp individual tst_foo binaries
 >> to the host and run them manually. In order to fix the initial porting
 >> problems that will show up in most tests this is fine.
 >
 > Some tests shall need more than the binary; e.g. data files to act on.

Unfortunately I don't know of a better way. I asked people who have been
working
on the INTEGRITY port and they've also just made static builds of test
executables and then copied them over to the device to be run.

 >> Is there any existing mechanism to run the unit tests on a machine
 >> other than the compilation host?
 >
 > I hope so - does anyone know how we test on Android, iOS or any other
 > cross-compilation target ?  Or do we even support testing on them ?

When it comes to CI, tests don't seem to be run on Android and iOS targets.
There are two cross-compilation targets (Linux arm64 and armv7) that are
tested,
but those are under QEMU emulation, not on real hardware.

For QEMU tests the tests are run in the folder they were built in under
emulation, so they don't offer any hints on a good process for testing
in a real
device.

--
Kari