[Development] Qt 5.12 schedule proposal & proposal for release process change

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Apr 12 17:44:25 CEST 2018

On Thursday, 12 April 2018 01:42:29 PDT Jani Heikkinen wrote:
> And at this same time I want to propose that we stop delivering alpha or
> beta releases and just do snapshots instead. Publishing regular snapshots
> should be done until we are ready for RC. That because I don't see that
> much need for those anymore. Those are nowadays kind of milestones and in
> my opinion makes whole process a bit unclear/difficult (we don't have very
> good definitions for Alpha and Beta releases).

Yes we do.

Alpha means feature complete, asking for feedback on the API and new
functionality.

Beta means implementation complete, asking for feedback on the quality of the
implementation, seeking bugs and regressions to be fixed.

RC means we've fixed everything we knew.

So I don't agree with calling those releases snapshots. The naming is just a
convention to let people know what the current state is. We already have too
few people who test our betas, so if we stop calling them that, we'll have
even fewer.