[Development] Why waste energy supporting Python?

d3fault d3faultdotxbe at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 03:41:55 CEST 2018

Supporting Python first class dilutes Qt, please don't. What's next,
Qt for Java? It's one thing to collect community-developed bindings
for various other languages into a single place... but something else
entirely to pay an entire "team" of developers to work on what is
essentially duplicated effort. That money could instead be spent on
new Qt features and/or fixing the ever growing list of bugs
(supporting Python first class will only add to that list of bugs).
Also, will Python/Qt libs be easily usable from Qt/C++? I doubt it, at
least not without deploying a python interpreter (and we already have
to deploy a JavaScript interpreter if we want to use QtQuick).

Modern C++ has come leaps and bounds over recent years in improving
code simplicity and safety (clang-tidy QtCreator integration FTW)...
whereas afaik Python still crashes if you don't have your WHITESPACE
perfectly organized.... bleh. Simply put, encouraging the use of
Python is the same thing as discouraging the use of Modern, Simple,
and Safe C++.

d3fault