[Development] Why waste energy supporting Python?

Christian Gagneraud chgans at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 08:19:51 CEST 2018

On 25 April 2018 at 13:41, d3fault <d3faultdotxbe at gmail.com> wrote:
> Supporting Python first class dilutes Qt, please don't. What's next,
> Qt for Java? It's one thing to collect community-developed bindings
> for various other languages into a single place... but something else
> entirely to pay an entire "team" of developers to work on what is
> essentially duplicated effort. That money could instead be spent on
> new Qt features and/or fixing the ever growing list of bugs
> (supporting Python first class will only add to that list of bugs).
> Also, will Python/Qt libs be easily usable from Qt/C++? I doubt it, at

Maybe it's not the goal.

> least not without deploying a python interpreter (and we already have
> to deploy a JavaScript interpreter if we want to use QtQuick).
>
> Modern C++ has come leaps and bounds over recent years in improving
> code simplicity and safety (clang-tidy QtCreator integration FTW)...
> whereas afaik Python still crashes if you don't have your WHITESPACE
> perfectly organized.... bleh. Simply put, encouraging the use of

It doesn't crash, it errors out with an Exception that tell you what is wrong.
Messing with white space in python is like messing with curly braces in C++.

When you think about it, C++ for human is really stupid:
- The machine language dictates you to match your curly braces,
- and the human brain dictates you to keep your white spaces (visual
indentation).

Python has merged the 2 concepts into one. You should try.

> Python is the same thing as discouraging the use of Modern, Simple,
> and Safe C++.

Keep safe man, and sweet dreams...

Chris