[Development] Qt3DRender Texture Update synchronous with Mesh/Transform changes

David Lenz david.lenz at aid-driving.eu
Thu Apr 26 14:27:12 CEST 2018

Hi all,

I am writing a QML application making use of Qt3D for the rendering of 3D objects.

In my scene I want to display a stream of QImages, therefore I subclassed Qt3DRender::QPaintedTextureImage to paint the QImage on the texture every time the image changes.

I added this texture to a PlaneMesh and place it in the scene. So far so good, this works.

Now as a next step, the QImage size AND the position of the PlaneMesh are dynamic.

So if i update the QImage and the transform of the PlaneMesh simultaneously, the update of the texture gets delayed (because the real update and upload to GPU happens in a background thread some time later)

This leads to constant flickering of the texture which is pretty annoying.

So my question:

Is there a way to either:

  1.  Update the texture synchronously so I know that it will be updated in the next frame?
  2.  Get notified as soon as the texture was updated, so that i can update my transform a little later?

Thanks for your support

David