[Development] Qt 6 buildsystem support requirements

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Aug 1 18:37:13 CEST 2018

On Wednesday, 1 August 2018 02:01:40 PDT Edward Welbourne wrote:
> This is easy to do in any build system that supports out-of-source
> (a.k.a. "shadow") builds - notably including the existing qmake-based
> builds for Qt.  I never want to do an in-source build of anything.

And not just that. Building out-of-source is an absolute requirement.

With one set of Qt sources, I build:
 - debug
 - release
 - clang release
 - icc release
 - i386 release namespace
 - MSVC 2017 (source dir is mounted read-only in the VM)

Plus discontinued (used to build, haven't in over 2 years):
 - ARM 32-bit
 - MIPS 32-bit
 - static

Ditto on the Windows machine, where the same set up, I build:
 - MSVC 2017 64-bit
 - MSVC 2015 64-bit
 - MSVC 2013 64-bit (will stop)
 - ICC 18 MSVC 2017 64-bit (configure only)
 - ICC 18 MSVC 2015 64-bit (only qtbase)

And on the Mac, the same sources builds both frameworks and no-frameworks,
though I think I haven't built the latter in several years (unlike the Mac and
Windows laptops, the Mac machine is from 2012, so it has old stuff).