[Development] Closing issues automatically with new keyword

Alex Blasche alexander.blasche at qt.io
Tue Aug 7 14:10:08 CEST 2018

The devil is in the detail. We don't want FixVersion to be set to 5.11 but set to 5.11.x.  When you look at a bug 6 month down the road you don't want to know that it was fixed in 5.11 but you want to know the exact patch level release. Especially the LTS releases tend to have many patch lvl number.

This implies that the script needs to know when 5.11.x was branched off and that every following commit to 5.11 branch will imply 5.11.x+1. Whether x+1 may never be released is irrelevant though as that's a simple bulk change when the decision to not have x+1 comes through. Is this what you intend to do?

> I see at least one problem there: If bug is affecting to several branches it will be
> closed when fix for first branch is done even in that case it shouldn't be closed
> until every branch has a fix...

That's the developer's decision as much as it is today already. If you know that the fix should go to multiple branches you should probably not use the "Fixes" keyword for the first commit but the existing "Task-number" keyword.

> Another concern or question is that in which phase we should close the bug; is it
> done immediately when fix is in or should it be done when fix is in the packages
> and someone can verify that fix is there and really fixes the problem...

It can only ever be when it is in the code line. That's correct for 90% of all cases. We cannot optimize for the case when releasing becomes creative and starts shifting around SHA's or decides to create the package. I am sure releasing does not want to be responsible for setting the fix version across all tasks. It does not scale. In other words the status quo applies.

--
Alex