[Development] Closing issues automatically with new keyword

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at qt.io
Fri Aug 10 15:14:15 CEST 2018

On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 02:42:59PM +0200, Shawn Rutledge wrote:
> On 10 Aug 2018, at 12:07, Oswald Buddenhagen <Oswald.Buddenhagen at qt.io> wrote:
> > so now i think the hook/intergration should just set the fix version to
> > the target branch name. yes, that implies that we should have the
> > version "dev" in jira.
>
> Why?  I think you can check the tags in git and find out that the highest numbered release was 5.11.1 so far, so dev has to be 5.12?  (until Qt 6 anyway)  And Jira knows which future versions are not released yet.  So when I mark fixed a bug that I fixed on dev, manually, I choose 5.12 alpha, because that’s not released yet.  I’d think the script could that too.

firstly, adding a git query to the hook complicates it and reduces its
reliability.

secondly, as your own caveat highlights, you need to encode and maintain
policy in the script to make that work.

thirdly, your proposed heuristics are wrong, because there is a window
of time where changes integrated into dev do *not* target the next minor
release (or a pre-release thereof): the time between the final downmerge
form dev and the actual release.
and we see in practice that people *do* get it wrong all the time,
despite the announcement mails.
dealing with that requires additional meta data, which is precisely what
much of the previous mails was about.

stick to your guns, maybe?