[Development] Build system for Qt 6

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Dec 17 06:31:59 CET 2018

On Sunday, 16 December 2018 20:12:47 PST Richard Weickelt wrote:
> ... and if you cross-compile, you definetly don't want to your build system
> to stick its nose into your system librararies on any platform.

No, you really DO. The issue is what "system" is: it's the sysroot for your
target platform, not the host system where you're building from.

A good buildsystem should have support for being told where the sysroot and
cross-compiler are, then execute pkg-config and .cmake file searches there.
When installing, it also needs to be able to install to a separate install
root, so it can be packaged. Installing into the sysroot is optional: it's
only a convenience.

Of course, this assumes that the libraries to be found do not require
executing anything from the sysroot. This is not an issue of the buildsystem
though: the problem is the dependency itself and would happen regardless of
buildsystem.

So, in general, cross-compiling is difficult and error-prone. That's why
solutions like Yocto Project attempt at cross-compiling as if it were native,
via qemu and pseudo. And that's why I don't cross-compile.