[Development] Build system for Qt 6

Matthew Woehlke mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 19:38:09 CET 2018

On 16/12/2018 08.21, Ray Donnelly wrote:
> In particular ide generators cannot express complex build
> dependencies very well and any use of scripts will tend not to work unless
> you hardcore them for each one.

Scripts can be problematic if they need to run stuff that is part of the
build, although I'm not sure *any* build tool handles this gracefully.

This area could definitely use improvement. I think the major problem is
that there is no agreement on how it should work.

> I work in the Anaconda Distribution as a software packager and spend
> a significant amount of my working day battling cmake. As I say it's
> "ok" for developers but not for packagers.
AFAIK, that experience is inconsistent with e.g. Fedora packaging where
things usually Just Work. This makes me wonder if you're trying to do
something that is contrary to how CMake is intended to be used or how
packages are intended to be built/packaged/installed?

--
Matthew