[Development] Build system for Qt 6

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Dec 18 20:23:43 CET 2018

On Tuesday, 18 December 2018 10:38:09 PST Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> > I work in the Anaconda Distribution as a software packager and spend
> > a significant amount of my working day battling cmake. As I say it's
> > "ok" for developers but not for packagers.
>
> AFAIK, that experience is inconsistent with e.g. Fedora packaging where
> things usually Just Work. This makes me wonder if you're trying to do
> something that is contrary to how CMake is intended to be used or how
> packages are intended to be built/packaged/installed?

It doesn't surprise me. There are a ton of bad CMakeLists.txt out there and
other departments at my company are known to make several of them. Plus, given
it's popularity, you're expected to see it as a bigger proportion of packages
to be packaged (selection bias). Autoconf may be more popular, but given its
complexity I expect it's not used for many new projects, which means the
problems have been long since fixed in most software that still uses it. So
yes, having to spend time battling CMake is not surprising.

But I also don't think that's the whole story. Working in software packaging
involves battling all buildsystems whenever the project has poorly-written
sources. The difference is whether you can find help out there. Fighting with
CMake or Meson or Autoconf usually means applying the same fixes over and
over; fighting with Gyp or Bazel means tearing your hair out; fighting hand-
written Makefiles means a custom solution for every one of them.