[Development] Build system for Qt 6

Denis Shienkov denis.shienkov at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 20:44:38 CET 2018

 > preferably one that doesn't involve Qt specific stuff

A main point is that we discuss about using the CMake as an 'advanced'
buld system in context of Qt.

 > Please show a concrete example

I already provided that example - it is cross-compilation. You can try
to cross-compile a simple application using CMake && Creator for the
Yocto target.

I'm, as a developer want to see a perfect integration between Qt stuff
&& CMake, because they (Qt managers) decided to choose the CMake. But
I'm don't see that it work at all. So, why I need to believe them? How
much time I need to wait until it will be fixed? Why I need to spent my
time at attempt to fix it (to lookup in CMake's magic macroses,  tricks,
to rake its ugly syntax and so on)? I' don't think that CMake is a right
choose for a Qt developers.

Maybe, if in my case I never faced with my issue, I would be not so
negative (maybe even I would be closed my eyes to ugly CMake syntax and
so on).

Another issue it is that I need force to lookup a some CMake toolchains
in different github projects from custom peoples (e.g. for
Android/iOS/Keil/IAR toolchains). I mean, that it is not official
CMake's stuff (I know, that IAR toolchain already has ben added to
CMake, but I not sure that it will work too). Why I need to use for this
custom stuff? I'm even not sure that it will work.

Of course, I can write a own stuff (toolchain file or something else) on
CMake, but it is soo ugly. In my case I just will take QBS and do al
what I need in 100 times fastest and shorter  and clearer and will not
worry at all (what and I do).

If Qt maintainers says that they will not remove the QtCreator && QBS
integration in future (I'm about QBS project manager plugin), then I
will not worry (don't care) about CMake. I will use QBS in any case.

I tried both CMake && QBS and I can say that for me QBS is a best
option. I'm not an expert, I'm just a user (consumer) of Qt && QtCreator
product.

Denis