[Development] Qt branches & proposal how to continue with those

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Feb 8 04:32:25 CET 2018

Lars Knoll wrote:
> * Instead we put our focus on getting 5.11 out as quickly as we can. Let’s
> branch now, create first alpha and then beta packages as quickly as
> possible. Not having to merge from 5.10 will ease this significantly.
> Getting 5.11 out quick will hopefully also make Webengine not fall too
> far/long behind upstream security patches.

We are now in early February. By your schedule, 5.11 will be out on the last
day of May. That's a whopping 4 months without a Qt release from the current
(non-LTS) branch! In that time, at least 2 batches of Chromium security
updates will happen. And that does not even account for the inevitable slips
that consistently happen.

If this decision is now final, you are really telling your users to get
lost! :-(

        Kevin Kofler