[Development] My understanding on a GoSC project

Paolo Angelelli paolo.angelelli at qt.io
Wed Feb 21 13:53:15 CET 2018

Hi Yuchen, great to hear you are interested in this project!

You are quite right there, such a plugin should essentially wrap valhalla.
The project steps you describe seem already a good approximation of a potential project.

Actually, a starting point for wrapping Valhalla could be looking at the project
https://github.com/rinigus/osmscout-server,
where valhalla is wrapped into a standalone server.

Some missing bits, imo, are
- documentation of a data generation pipeline
(Valhalla needs data to work on, and the outcome of the project should ideally contain
instructions and tools to produce these data starting from the OSM db file(s)),
- Example QML application using the plugin

If you are serious about this project, next step would be trying to find a mentor for it,
who will also help you writing the project proposal.
Please contact us on IRC (Freenode, #qt-gsoc channel), or write me an email, so
we can take it further!

best,
Paolo