[Development] Prebuilt 32-bit versjon for MSVC 2017

Henry Skoglund fromqt at tungware.se
Wed Feb 21 16:46:35 CET 2018

On 2018-02-21 14:22, Maurice Kalinowski wrote:
> The reason we have had x86 and x64 packages for UWP is not to target those two architectures for the desktop, but rather that the x86 version also works for the emulators for Windows Phone 8 / Windows 10 Mobile as well as Windows 10 IoT (Core).
>
> Given that two out of those are basically gone by now, I'd be fine with dropping UWP x86 packages, but keep the arm packages for out embedded user base on Windows 10 IoT.
>
> BR,
> Maurice

This is very good news. Several times in the Qt Forums I've helped
people who wanted 32-bit prebuilt MSVC2017 Qt binaries, and ended up
downloading the UWP version for building Win32 apps.

<Rant>
Of course Visual Studio when building UWP apps does not use the linker
switch /SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS,6.2 setting to disallow starting the .exe file
on Windows 7 (but allowing the same .exe to run on Windows 10).
Instead you get a missing .dll error like "The program can't start
because api-ms-win-core-rtlsupport-l1-2-0.dll is missing from your
computer." And this leads to people struggling with trying to install
that .dll etc. Windows 7 (see for example here
https://forum.qt.io/topic/85047/can-t-launch-application-dll-is-missing )

But Visual Studio uses the same switch set to /SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS,6.0 to
disallow MSVC2015/MSVC2017 Win32 apps to run on Windows XP and Win2K3,
go figure.
</rant>

Rgrds Henry