[Development] Prebuilt 32-bit versjon for MSVC 2017

Roland Winklmeier roland.m.winklmeier at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 16:33:18 CET 2018

> Hi,
>
> Currently Qt ships with 32-bit binaries for MSVC 2015, but not for MSVC
> 2017. The Qt Company have received requests for adding prebuilt 32-bit
> binaries also for MSVC 2017. By adding more prebuilt binaries, we increase
> the complexity, and add to the overall maintenance of our QA system. Our
> preferred approach would be to add binaries for MSVC 2017 and remove the
> binaries for MSVC 2015, as the numbers of binaries in the build remains the
> same. It will still be possible to manually build Qt for MSVC 2015, in the
> same way as it is possible to manually build for MSVC 2017 today. Feedback
> and viewpoints are much appreciated and will enable us to make the best
> possible decision.

I'm using MSVC 2017 with Qt5 2015 prebuilt binaries. I never had issues
with this combination so far, but still would appreciate to have the also
have the 32 bit binaries prebuilt with 2017.
So I'm happy to hear that this is considered.

A little bit offtopic:
I think those discussions about prebuilt binaries would be less
controversal, if it would be easier to produce custom Qt installers. I'm
aware that I can build 32 bit with MSVC 2017 on my own, but creating an
installer for my colleagues is a mystery to me. Yes, its easy enough to
_build_ Qt yourself. I regularly do that. But its a pain to produce any
kind of installers to share it with team members or relocate the built. I
would produce more custom prebuilts of Qt, if the documentation about how
to create custom installers is up to date and accurate. I tried once to
follow http://code.qt.io/cgit/qtsdk/qtsdk.git/tree/packaging-tools/README
but it was so much dependent on the Qt CI infrastructure (shares, node
names etc), hard to follow and presumably outdated (it referenced Qt 5.5).

R.