[Development] Undeprecating QString::null

Alexander Nassian nassian at bitshift-dynamics.com
Tue Jan 16 17:26:51 CET 2018

Deprecated since Qt4 (so it survived already two versions that were allowed to break binary compatibility) means that you had 12 (twelve) years to do the migration. How long should it be maintained? And again, it also could have been removed in Qt4 or 5.

> Am 16.01.2018 um 17:16 schrieb Uwe Rathmann <Uwe.Rathmann at tigertal.de>:
>
> On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 16:47:57 +0100, Olivier Goffart wrote:
>
>> Just change your code to use "= QString()", no #ifdef necessary.
>
> The "just change" introduces a binary incompatibility - right ?
>
> Please be aware, that Qwt is part of almost any Linux distro - according
> to sourceforge it has more than 1000 additional downloads every week
> since many years.
>
> All distro maintainers would not only have to upgrade the Qwt packages,
> but also all packages depending on it - users would have to rebuild.
>
> Considering the strict compatibility rules you have for Qt you will
> understand, that this is nothing I would like to do easily.
>
> But could you please comment on why this change is an improvement -
> beyond getting rid of 3-4 lines in qstring.h ?
>
> Thanks,
> Uwe

bitshift dynamics GmbH
Neudorfer Str. 1, 79541 Lörrach
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Freiburg i. Breisgau, HRB 713747
Geschäftsführer: Alexander Nassian, Markus Pfaffinger

http://www.bitshift-dynamics.de

Zentrale: +49 762158673 - 0
Fax: +49 7621 58673 - 90

Allgemeine Anfragen: info at bitshift-dynamics.com