[Development] Qt branches & proposal how to continue with those

Lars Knoll lars.knoll at qt.io
Mon Jan 29 10:26:32 CET 2018

> On 29 Jan 2018, at 10:00, Uwe Rathmann <Uwe.Rathmann at tigertal.de> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 06:59:06 +0000, Jani Heikkinen wrote:
>
>> - '5.6' will move in 'very strict' mode - '5.9' will move in 'strict'
>> mode.
>
> This type of discussion has to be lead, before making a LTS promise !

Of course. We had that discussion, see QUIP 5.

According to what's defined there, 5.6 should move into 'very strict' mode for the third year, so that is pretty much from now onwards.
5.9 should move into strict mode with cherry-picking, also in line with QUIP 5.

So I agree with these two changes, they are IMO fully in line with what we have said and promised.

I think this only leaves a question around the proposal for 5.10. We've usually left that branch open until the next minor release is out.

Cheers,
Lars