[Development] Qt branches & proposal how to continue with those

Uwe Rathmann Uwe.Rathmann at tigertal.de
Mon Jan 29 10:00:54 CET 2018

On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 06:59:06 +0000, Jani Heikkinen wrote:

> - '5.6' will move in 'very strict' mode - '5.9' will move in 'strict'
> mode.

This type of discussion has to be lead, before making a LTS promise !

Trying to change this later - without having any argument beside, that
maintaining stable branches is cumbersome - makes your LTS promises
nothing but unreliable.

But IMHO you are also asking the wrong audience. Qt development is the
right group, when discussing if a release should be a LTS one. But if you
want to change the cycle of an existing LTS version you should ask those
to whom you made the promise: the users.

Speaking for myself: I'm only interested in LTS versions and I could
easily live without releases that never go beyond 5.x.1 ( like f.e 5.10 ).

Uwe