[Development] Qt 6 buildsystem support requirements

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sat Jul 21 18:06:05 CEST 2018

On Saturday, 21 July 2018 05:42:08 PDT Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Bogdan Vatra via Development wrote:
> > Anyway IMHO is more important to have a clean, nice and easy to use syntax
> > and to be tooling friendly than 1.b.
>
> A custom build system is always a major pain point for distributions. A
> circular dependency (what Thiago's 1.b forbids) makes it particularly
> painful. How should we bootstrap new architectures or entirely new
> distributions if we cannot build Qt due to the circular dependency between
> Qt and its build tool? This is a showstopper.

C'mon, this is easy to solve. Just make sure that the build tool can be built
with other tools, at least a minimal version to bootstrap itself. Qbs today
has a qmake-based build. Qmake can be built with a simple Makefile, one that
doesn't even require GNU Make. CMake has a bootstrap mode too.

The problem of the Qt dependency can be solved by copying the necessary files.

Why are we even discussing (1.b)? That's got a technical solution.

I thought that (2) and (3) would be a lot more contentious. Especially (2.c).