[Development] Qt 6 buildsystem support requirements

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer perezmeyer at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 15:16:17 CEST 2018

El dom., 22 de jul. de 2018 06:40, Christian Gagneraud <chgans at gmail.com>
escribió:

> On 22 July 2018 at 00:42, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> > Bogdan Vatra via Development wrote:
> >> Anyway IMHO is more important to have a clean, nice and easy to use
> syntax
> >> and to be tooling friendly than 1.b.
> >
> > A custom build system is always a major pain point for distributions. A
> > circular dependency (what Thiago's 1.b forbids) makes it particularly
> > painful. How should we bootstrap new architectures or entirely new
> > distributions if we cannot build Qt due to the circular dependency
> between
> > Qt and its build tool? This is a showstopper.
>
> How do you build gcc on Debian? Which compiler do you use? How do you
> build the afore mentioned compiler in the first place?
> Bootstrapping is a natural process in SW dev, and is and has always
> been a long meander. Implementation details don't matter.

I think this point needs a clarification (not for Christian, as you can
read below). A self-bootstrapeable tarball/source is enough, like qmake in
qtbase does.

What we packagers do not want is a source A that needs source B to build
but source B needs source A (or the same thing by adding more sources in
the middle).

AFAIK, Debian cannot even be cross-compiled (Debian ports have never
> been build this way)....

That's changing quite fast actually, at the point that people are being
able to bootstrap archs by cross compiling.

We can even cross compile sources using Qt and most (if not all) of Qt
itself by using multi-arch.

CMake has a special bootstrapping mode, QMake has one, and any other
> build tools (can) have their own, this includes Qbs, and many other..
>
> IMHO, this self-contained, circular dependency discussion is moot.
> As mentioned by Thiago himself, this is a non-problem, it can be
> easily solved for most build system that are on the table.

Right.

Can we stop for a moment about self/circular dependency and bootstrapping?
> Let's move on more serious topics.

Well, the difference between self and circular really does makes a change
for us packagers. Really.