[Development] Symbol clashes with static Qt libraries

Edward Welbourne edward.welbourne at qt.io
Tue Jul 31 14:58:19 CEST 2018

Kai Koehne (Tuesday, 31 July 2018 1:44 PM)

On 31/07/18 14:06, Mitch Curtis wrote:
>> This one is a nice compromise, in that it's just an extra argument to pass to configure. Though, like you said, the issue is making people aware of it.
>>
>> Are there any downsides to doing this by default?

Giuseppe D'Angelo (31 July 2018 14:38)
> It will likely break every single application that has never used a
> namespaced build of Qt. Which is a significant percentage of all the Qt
> apps out there...

I'm guessing you mean "... used a static build of Qt." since they're the
only ones (b) would change, if made the default.  Otherwise, please
explain how namespaced builds get broken by this - if they were static
before, then this just makes them the default, so no change; if they
weren't static, this change won't affect them.

I can believe static-built apps are common; and I guess apps using them
would need to make source changes in order to switch to their namespaced
form, or override the default of them being namespaced.  What other
problem(s) had you in mind ?

	Eddy.