[Development] Symbol clashes with static Qt libraries

Giuseppe D'Angelo giuseppe.dangelo at kdab.com
Tue Jul 31 15:20:01 CEST 2018

On 31/07/18 14:58, Edward Welbourne wrote:
> I can believe static-built apps are common; and I guess apps using them
> would need to make source changes in order to switch to their namespaced
> form, or override the default of them being namespaced.  What other
> problem(s) had you in mind ?

Exactly this problem: changing the default to a namespaced build would
require source changes (*) in most applications that had been using
static builds of Qt without namespaces. And this includes the
applications affected by the bug that started this thread, so for them
the solution won't just be "use this new version of Qt", it's going to
be "use this new version of Qt AND change your source".

So, it's a matter to decide whether such namespacing should be opt-in
(like today) or opt-out (if you get errors when you upgrade Qt and you
don't want to fix your code, pass options to configure to disable the
namespace).

(*) Sure, the changes are probably trivial (considering that would Qt
also by default add a `using namespace QtNamespace` in all its headers),
but it's still a SiC.

My 2 c,
KDAB - The Qt, C++ and OpenGL Experts