[Development] clang-format

Joerg Bornemann joerg.bornemann at qt.io
Tue Jun 19 09:58:52 CEST 2018

On 06/18/2018 11:23 AM, Kari Oikarinen wrote:

> I'd hesitate to ever run it over the entire codebase.
>
> * It will ruin plain git blame, since so much will point to that particular
>    commit. Yes, you can use `git blame -w` to avoid whitespace changes,
> but that
>    does not catch rewrapped lines.

In my experience, plain "git blame" is not enough in most cases anyway.
You go back in history and skip commits you're not interested in. One
cleanup commit more to skip doesn't really hurt.

> * Open changes would need to be rebased on top of it. When would be a
> good point
>    in time with few open changes?

Summer holidays? :)
I guess there's no perfect point in time. Some open changes will have to
be rebased. This also happens if someone else is working in the area
your commit touched. Just a minor annoyance IMO.

> * Which branch do you run it in? If an early one, there's many merges to
> do. If
>    a late one, all the subsequent merges are tricky.

Our commit policy suggests that the right branch would be dev.
You're right that the merges will be harder. What's the opinion of our
merge master?

Cheers,

Joerg