[Development] clang-format

Lars Knoll lars.knoll at qt.io
Tue Jun 19 11:34:09 CEST 2018

> On 19 Jun 2018, at 09:58, Joerg Bornemann <Joerg.Bornemann at qt.io> wrote:
>
> On 06/18/2018 11:23 AM, Kari Oikarinen wrote:
>
>> I'd hesitate to ever run it over the entire codebase.
>> * It will ruin plain git blame, since so much will point to that particular
>>   commit. Yes, you can use `git blame -w` to avoid whitespace changes, but that
>>   does not catch rewrapped lines.
>
> In my experience, plain "git blame" is not enough in most cases anyway. You go back in history and skip commits you're not interested in. One cleanup commit more to skip doesn't really hurt.

I agree, and Qt Creator makes that actually pretty easy in practice.

>> * Open changes would need to be rebased on top of it. When would be a good point
>>   in time with few open changes?
>
> Summer holidays? :)
> I guess there's no perfect point in time. Some open changes will have to be rebased. This also happens if someone else is working in the area your commit touched. Just a minor annoyance IMO.

Some time during summer is fine for me. But we’ll need to have the infra in place, so that formatting is enforced for new changes.

>> * Which branch do you run it in? If an early one, there's many merges to do. If
>>   a late one, all the subsequent merges are tricky.
>
> Our commit policy suggests that the right branch would be dev.
> You're right that the merges will be harder. What's the opinion of our merge master?

Currently, we only merge from 5.11 to dev, so I hope this won’t be too bad. But we could of course also run the tool over both branches.

Cheers,
Lars