[Development] Stepping down as maintainer

Tuukka Turunen tuukka.turunen at qt.io
Tue Mar 20 09:09:13 CET 2018

Hi,

It would be very good to get more contributors and maintainers also from the community and companies who offer Qt services. Lately we have had some community maintainers step down and replaced by people from The Qt Company. This is fine to some degree, but we should also have new persons from the community and ecosystem step up.

Overall the amount of community contributions to Qt is still around the same 30% as it has been. So we have not been getting any better or worse in that regard.

Yours,

	Tuukka

    On 2018-03-19, Denis Shienkov <denis.shienkov at gmail.com> wrote:
    > As I can see recently, is is not a good tendence in Qt... Many peoples
    > leaves from Qt.. What happens? Or I'm mistake? :)

    Let's do some math.

    There is around 160 maintainer positions in Qt (a quick count of <tr> on
    the maintainers wiki page)

    Many maintainers are a maintainer as part of their job duties. Not many
    people these days have the same job for more than 5-6 years. If it takes
    1-2 years to get to a state to become maintainer, that leaves around 4
    years as a maintainer.

    If we assume that the maintainer is around for 4 years and there is
    effective 10 months per year, then we should have 4 replacement
    maintainers each month.

    I'm not sure I see something worrying in numbers alone.

    /Sune