[Development] Stepping down as maintainer

Jean-Michaël Celerier jeanmichael.celerier at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 11:26:13 CET 2018

> For example, to allow them to use the commercial license in own purposes,
or, something else. ;)

Are there that many people interested in commercial licenses ? I think that
more people are looking to have *fun* and feel welcome contributing,
especially in the OSS world.

Look for instance how contributions are handled in:
* Rust: https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/pull/49173
* Electron: https://github.com/electron/electron/pull/12301
* Dear ImGui: https://github.com/ocornut/imgui/pull/1638
* Python: https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/6142

Overall, it feels much more frictionless to contribute to these kinds of
project - and it does not really matter if this is true in practice it is
or not: most people don't judge with cold, hard scientific facts, for the
better or worse, especially when considering decisions such as "to which
famous open source project should I contribute?".

Another point is that there is no real Qt ecosystem : it's either
contribute to big entities such as Qt itself & KDE or have a small
forgotten library used by a whole 3 people on github / inqlude / qpm, but
there does not seem to be easy "entryway drug" which can easily discourage
newcomers.

Best,
Jean-Michaël

-------