[Development] Code contributions via bug reports and forum posts

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at qt.io
Wed May 16 19:02:42 CEST 2018

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 09:46:57AM -0700, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Wednesday, 16 May 2018 09:31:56 PDT Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 09:06:59AM -0700, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > > Please note this grants The Qt Company this right, presumably because
> > > that "Feedback" is submitted to a web service they control.
> >
> > uh? it does because it's submitted to a service which has these TOS. you
> > could put the same terms on a site *you* control, and the benefactor
> > would still be tqtc.
>
> The point is that the grant is being made to The Qt Company and the grant only
> applies because it is done by using a service that TQtC controls.

no, it *doesn't*. your interpretation is absurd.

> > > For other people in the Qt Project, nothing changes: you (and I) are
> > > not allowed to pick up patches submitted to the bug reporting system
> > > or forums and apply it to Qt no more than we are allowed to pick up
> > > patches submitted to Stack Overflow or pastebin.com.
> >
> > that's nonsense. you wouldn't be using the code for your own purposes,
> > but just acting as a proxy, re-submitting the code under terms the
> > author has already accepted, including attribution.
> >
> > IANAL, blah blah blah.
>
> My IANAL reading is that I'm not allowed. I don't see anywhere in the Qt
> Account agreement that says a third party is allowed to pick up the code and
> submit it through the CLA.

you wouldn't be submitting it under CLA (though you need it for
purely technical reasons). qt employees obviously also don't submit
under the CLA (because the code is already owned by tqtc) even though we
use the same technical process.

also note that the TOS grant of rights is essentially the same as the
central grant in the CLA, just a bit less verbose.