[Development] Code contributions via bug reports and forum posts

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed May 16 18:46:57 CEST 2018

On Wednesday, 16 May 2018 09:31:56 PDT Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 09:06:59AM -0700, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > Please note this grants The Qt Company this right, presumably because
> > that "Feedback" is submitted to a web service they control.
>
> uh? it does because it's submitted to a service which has these TOS. you
> could put the same terms on a site *you* control, and the benefactor
> would still be tqtc.

The point is that the grant is being made to The Qt Company and the grant only
applies because it is done by using a service that TQtC controls.

> > For other people in the Qt Project, nothing changes: you (and I) are
> > not allowed to pick up patches submitted to the bug reporting system
> > or forums and apply it to Qt no more than we are allowed to pick up
> > patches submitted to Stack Overflow or pastebin.com.
>
> that's nonsense. you wouldn't be using the code for your own purposes,
> but just acting as a proxy, re-submitting the code under terms the
> author has already accepted, including attribution.
>
> IANAL, blah blah blah.

My IANAL reading is that I'm not allowed. I don't see anywhere in the Qt
Account agreement that says a third party is allowed to pick up the code and
submit it through the CLA. Or, in my case, through the CCLA that applies
between Intel and The Qt Company.

So I will continue not to do it. Patches to JIRA will continue to be ignored
and will mostly go unread in the first place.