[Development] Repository Request: qt/licensing

Kai Koehne Kai.Koehne at qt.io
Fri May 18 21:59:35 CEST 2018

> As such, the repository should be readable by everyone, but write access should be limited to The Qt Company.
>
> I don’t understand how would that solve the issue.  Wouldn’t this repo need to be cloned and then (somehow) merged with qtbase?

Yes, it would be a git submodule of qtbase.

> If public

> read/download access if not a concern, wouldn’t it make more sense to just add licheck and the licenses to qtbase repo?

That would indeed be the easiest. I proposed a separate submodule because
a) binary checkins will blow up repository content over time, which we should avoid for central modules like qtbase.

b) people that want to just use the opensource version or a tech preview version can just ignore the submodule.

Alternatively, the submodule can also be a qt5.git submodule, instead of a qtbase one. The logic in qtbase could still locate a repository relative to qtbase.

Kai