[Development] Who is in charge of qt-project.org?

Tuukka Turunen tuukka.turunen at qt.io
Thu Nov 1 11:24:16 CET 2018

Hi,

Materials related to contributing to Qt and Qt Project are still there, not been removed, see: https://www.qt.io/contribute-to-qt, https://wiki.qt.io/Qt_Contribution_Guidelines, https://wiki.qt.io/Qt_Project_Open_Governance, and https://wiki.qt.io/The_Qt_Governance_Model - just to mention a few pages about the Qt Project and contributing to Qt.

At the time of unification qt-project.org was mainly a site for developers using Qt, built in a way that it was really laborsome to maintain. Content was carried over to more modern systems for everything that was seen relevant - including all contribution related items (which already back then were in the wiki part of the system). Because the majority of people visiting www.qt-project.org were developers of Qt applications, it redirects to the current developer page.

Things can always be improved, and constructive feedback is always welcome. But to claim the The Qt Company has removed everything related to the Qt Project is not justified in my opinion. Could these be more visible, probably. If you have suggestions, these can be done e.g. via: https://bugreports.qt.io/projects/QTWEBSITE.

Yours,

	Tuukka

On 01/11/2018, 11.02, "Development on behalf of Olivier Goffart" <development-bounces+tuukka.turunen=qt.io at qt-project.org on behalf of olivier at woboq.com> wrote:

    On 01.11.18 08:49, Tuukka Turunen wrote:

    > Hi Christian,
    >
    > What comes to the mistake with the mailing list archive, we of course fix it. Meanwhile, use the workaround described by Andy: " It is there, but you have to go to http://lists.qt-project.org for now, it is being moved to a new server so at some point the https address will be back, but until then you need to use the http address."

    > The reasons for not having a separate site for open-source Qt and commercial Qt are described quite well in this blog post from, 2014: http://blog.qt.io/blog/2014/08/06/defragmenting-qt-and-uniting-our-ecosystem/
    >
    > The hosting foundation for Qt Project (a non-profit organization registered in Norway) is currently inoperable, costs of running the web servers, download systems etc of the Qt Project are paid directly by The Qt Company.

    That blog you link said it would merge the contents of qt-project.org with the
    contents of digia. In practice, it just removed, or hide, all the contents from
    qt-project, and replaced it by The Qt Company marketing.

    At the time, qt-project.org contained useful information for and from
    developers *of* Qt. The contribution model was explained, the blog links was
    linking to planet qt, an aggregation of contributors blog.

    https://web.archive.org/web/20140806181527/http://qt-project.org:80/

    Today, qt-project.org redirects to https://www.qt.io/developers/ which is use a
    page for developer *using* Qt. It contains only Qt Company links, The "Qt" blog
    is just "The Qt Company" blog. It does not really mention that there are
    contributors to Qt other than the Qt company.