[Development] Who is in charge of qt-project.org?

Lars Knoll lars.knoll at qt.io
Fri Nov 2 13:45:45 CET 2018

On 2 Nov 2018, at 13:08, Christian Gagneraud <chgans at gmail.com<mailto:chgans at gmail.com>> wrote:

On Fri, 2 Nov 2018 at 23:55, Lars Knoll <lars.knoll at qt.io<mailto:lars.knoll at qt.io>> wrote:

On 2 Nov 2018, at 11:45, Christian Gagneraud <chgans at gmail.com<mailto:chgans at gmail.com>> wrote:

On Thu, 1 Nov 2018 at 22:25, Kain Vampire via Development
<development at qt-project.org<mailto:development at qt-project.org>> wrote:

Hi,
I have to apologise for my behaviour. While I still think Christian Gagneraud's attack on the Qt company abilities was unfair and uncalled for, it's not a justification for my actions.
Creating an hostile environment is bad for the community and I should not have done it.
It won't happen again,
Regards,
Luca

Hi All,

I would  like to apologise as well, my sarcasm and my provocation went
uncontrolled.
My fault, this was definitely not the most clever way to get things sorted.
I'm looking forward HTTPS://lists.qt-project.org to be back online and
would like to thanks everyone working on the matter.

Thanks Chris and Luca.

Getting lists.qt-project.org<http://lists.qt-project.org> fixed is being worked on. I hope it’s won’t be too long.

But there’s something to take away for TQtC as the party taking care of the infrastructure here. TQtC needs to establish some more pro-active monitoring of the infrastructure so that these things will get ideally get fixed before they become a problem next time. I’ll see what I can do to help getting that in place.

<big-warning message="not cool at all" apologies="you have been
warned, do not keep reading if you do not fell comfortable">

Hi Lars,

You've just dropped Qbs, what's next?
I don't trust you anymore, nor the company-ies you represent - Nothing personal.

We’ve dropped other things in the past for various reasons. That is true both for TQtC and the Qt project.

Fact is that the only entity working on qbs has been The Qt Company. As such, that company can make decisions on whether TQtC wants to or can continue investing in something or not. Those decisions are never easy, but as a company you sometimes have to also decide what to not continue doing, and where to focus your resources.

The Qt Project can not dictate what The Qt Company does there, just as much as it can not force individual people to work on any specific part of Qt.

Qbs as a project will continue to be available on qt-project.org<http://qt-project.org>. Nobody is going to remove it from there, and I am (now moving over to wearing my Chief Maintainer hat) happy to host it here and provide infrastructure for it. As I said earlier, I very much like the technology, and it would be great if it continued to evolve. I do understand that there’s a large risk this won’t happen without TQtC’s investment though.

But we are still doing some work on Qbs, and will have one more feature release on it, where we try to bring it to a good and stable state. So continuing from there might not be as difficult as you think.

Lars

I think that it is time for the qt-project.org<http://qt-project.org/> domain to be handed
back to the Qt Project community.
I was reading a french article this morning
(https://linuxfr.org/news/fedora-29), i give you an inaccurate, but
syntactic and compact translation of the article introduction:

Fedora is a GNU/Linux distribution developed by the Fedora Project and
sponsored by Red Hat that provide them with developers, finance and
logistics.
Fedora can be seen as an open source technological show case of Red
Hat proprietary technology. (NDLR: Free and inaccurate translation, i
mean it)
=> sold for 34 billions dollars

How do you fell about that? Do you see similarities?

Is the triple-licensed Qt stack an open source technological show case
of what the Qt Company has to offer?
</big-warning>

More seriously, yes, Fedora/RedHat  and
Qt/Project/Company/Digia/Nokia/Microsoft/TrollTech are different beast
(apple and oranges, yadi, yada, ...).
But I see similarities. (and i do not care about the 34 billions)

Chris