[Development] Build system for Qt 6

Joerg Bornemann Joerg.Bornemann at qt.io
Mon Nov 12 14:06:00 CET 2018

On 10/30/18 12:16 PM, Bogdan Vatra via Development wrote:

Late to the game, but I feel the urge to comment on some things.

> c.2) Incomplete! A while ago, I created a QBS plugin for KDevelop[1] and I
> found some problems, see how QBS developers treat them here: https://
> bugreports.qt.io/browse/QBS-902 . That was the moment when I started to have
> doubts :).

This bug report is lacking crucial information to handle it properly,
like what's the expected outcome etc.
As you are known as a seasoned developer we felt you didn't need the
https://wiki.qt.io/Reporting_Bugs link.

> d) While c.1 and c.2 can be fixed with some effort, here we have bigger
> problems:
>    - Instread to port QBS to QML JS in the first second when QtScript was
> deprecated, they fork it! I know that back then QML JS needed some love, but
> instead to collaborate with QML JS folks they decided keep using QtScript!

QtScript was never forked. It even was included as git submodule at some
point. Unaltered.

> IIRC a brave soul, port it to QML JS, but guess what, QBS devs reject it and
> kept using QtScript!

You're remembering incorrectly.
There was never such a port.

>   - Even more, they found a few problem also in QML parser, and guess what,
> they forked also QML!

The QML parser was never forked. It always has been a copy of the QML
parser, because we didn't want a dependency to the QtQml module.

Cheers,

Joerg