[Development] Qt6/Qt5 coinstallability (Linux distributions)

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer perezmeyer at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 20:42:48 CET 2018

El martes, 13 de noviembre de 2018 23:58:28 -03 Thiago Macieira escribió:
> On Tuesday, 13 November 2018 18:43:03 PST Kevin Kofler wrote:
[snip]
> > I think it would be much safer to just version everything.
> >
> > Just remember Assistant in Qt 4, where early 4.x releases shipped an
> > Assistant that was essentially compatible with the Qt 3 version, but it
> > was
> > later renamed to assistant_adp (and later dropped from the Qt distribution
> > and shipped as an unmaintained separate legacy tarball) and a new
> > incompatible Assistant (the QCH one) was introduced.
>
> Ok, so two categories only:
> 1) applications run by the user (in bin, versioned)
> 2) applications run only during build (in libexec, unversioned)

I would of course agree here. But so far only three of us participated in this
thread, so I would like to ask:

a) Is there something else I could do to make this a consensus decision? Or
maybe do something to make this the roadmap for Qt 6?

b) If at some point we can agree it has been decided, is there any way I could
start contributing code in order to achieve this? Maybe I should just wait
until the new build system is on stage? something else?

Cheers, Lisandro.

--
When the winds of change are blowing, some people are building shelters, and
others are building windmills.

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/
http://perezmeyer.blogspot.com/