[Development] automated bulk change closing old issues in the "Need more info" state

Uwe Rathmann Uwe.Rathmann at tigertal.de
Tue Nov 20 08:14:26 CET 2018

On Mon, 19 Nov 2018 20:00:30 +0000, Volker Hilsheimer wrote:

> I understand that the “need more info” -> auto-closing bot workflow is
> to some degree a bit of a probe to see if someone still cares.

A bug is a bug and if the one who has reported it has lost the interest
in it months/years later - usually because not working on the project
anymore - should not matter.

But maybe the mentality of a commercial product is different than mine.

> When do you consider a bug report “lost”?

When bug report does not end with a conscious decision of a developer.

> So, leaving it in a “I’ll fix this when I get to it” kind of
> state is rather not helpful.

If the state would be true, I don't have a problem with it. But I can't
remember any bug report, that ever left this state after being there for
longer than - let's say 2 weeks.

Actually I already stopped reporting bugs in areas, where you end up with
assignees, that are known as a pseudonym for /dev/null.

F.e the QPA/EGLFS stuff is full of problems, when working with multiple
touch screens. But obviously this is a rare combination and the Qt
Company seems not being interested - or lost the competence - in fixing
it.

Uwe