[Development] automated bulk change closing old issues in the "Need more info" state

Volker Hilsheimer volker.hilsheimer at qt.io
Mon Nov 19 21:00:30 CET 2018

> On 19 Nov 2018, at 16:09, Uwe Rathmann <Uwe.Rathmann at tigertal.de> wrote:
> I guess my bugs are not the only ones and if you don't want to lose a lot
> of valuable reports this way better stop an revert this bulk changes.

I understand that the “need more info” -> auto-closing bot workflow is to some degree a bit of a probe to see if someone still cares. It certainly isn’t a greatly named state for that purpose (and one should expect a comment when a bug is moved to that state), but that aside, I’m curious:

When do you consider a bug report “lost”?

JIRA doesn’t forget the bug report. It’s still there, will show up in your searches for “stuff I reported and that wasn’t fixed”, and you get notified when something changes. Perhaps it gets closed as “won’t do” or some other not-fixed resolution because the assignee or maintainer or The Qt Company decides that they are not going to fix the issue (for whatever reason; "corner case”; "too risky to change the code”; “not something we will ever prioritise”).

For a bug report that’s been open for a long time, probability that it results in real action is perhaps going down rather than up the longer you wait. So, leaving it in a “I’ll fix this when I get to it” kind of state is rather not helpful. When it’s closed as “won’t do” etc, at least you know what to expect, and that it’s probably going to be worth your time to develop a workaround or dig into the code yourself to see if you can come up with a fix.

Cheers,
Volker