[Development] QUIP 12: Code of Conduct

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Oct 26 23:28:15 CEST 2018

On Friday, 26 October 2018 12:25:50 PDT Jason H wrote:
> Thiago,
>
> Here's a link that kinda puts it together:
> https://lulz.com/linux-devs-threaten-killswitch-coc-controversy-1252/
> (Scroll to  "The Controversy" and the "rape apologist" Sage Sharp tweet)

I know of the controversy and find Sage's tweet to be of extremely poor
judgment, given the situation that originally caused them to find Ted Ts'o an
apologist. I know both and I fail to see how the actions could have led to
such an escalation. This is very unfortunate.

I agree with the tweet replies quoted in the article: the Sage's tweet was out
of bounds and a violation of the CoC. Fortunately, they are not part of the
kernel community anymore, so the Linux TAB does not have to do anything.

The post says:
"1. Insertion of the CoC into other projects has heralded witch hunts where
good contributors are removed over trivial matters or even events that
happened a long time ago."

There's a difference between triggering witch hunts and successful removal of
contributors. The fact that the CoC and a reporting mechanism exist can lead
to their being abused. But I stand by my argument that the final decision is
left to existing, trusted members of the project's community and that stops
the abuse from getting out of hand.

> I didn't realize this was a thing of "defeat". I have concerns, based on
> actual events, that I want resolved.

That's fine. I was reacting to your "my mind is made up", which it makes you
sound like you will not change your position and no compromise is possible,
short of not adopting a CoC at all.

> I do respectfully disagree on whether or not an author is relevant to
> considering a work. In this case the author has a track record of attacking
> members in open source projects and arguing against meritocracy. Is the
> text good? There is a lot I agree with, but there are things in it that
> cross the line for me. I think we can come to an agreement, but not with
> invoking the Covenant in its current form.

Please also note that the attack against meritocracy is more nuanced than it
appears at first sight. I don't have more information on this -- I will go
inform myself about it -- so until then I will not comment.