[Development] QUIP 12: Code of Conduct

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Oct 26 23:35:11 CEST 2018

On Friday, 26 October 2018 12:28:42 PDT Alexey Andreyev wrote:
> > I personally think those situations explain why we need a CoC in the
>
> first place and why the judgment on such situations is very subjective,
> best left to humans, not to a script. And the deliberations should not be
> in a public forum, like a GitHub issue.
>
> If mentioned situations best left to humans, what is current CoC for? If
> deliberations should be limited, who could have access to it?

The deliberation is left to humans, but the ground rules are written so that
all participants know what is expected of them and to give them the
reassurance that their grievances will be heard (not that there'll be action
taken).

If we took your argument to the extreme, then why would we need a Constitution
if we have judges?

As for who can have access to it or any other methods of checking their power,
I don't know. Do you trust our Security mailing list? Why wouldn't you trust
the CoC board? How can we add those?

> > Isn't it showing that it's *working*?
>
> I guess not, not the current version of the CoC at least. Communities are
> spending resources instead of working on other tasks. If discussed
> situations be left to humans in the end with current document, we could
> just state simple one-liner instead: "be conscious and think about future
> consequences", -- to minimize CoC problems at least.
>
> As I said previously, I agree we should work together on a better version.
> I guess Qt people could do it.

I would rather we not write a text ourselves, but find something we're
comfortable with. That would be an extreme effort whose resources could be
best used elsewhere.

If the CC is such a hot topic, a magnet because of its author's actions, let's
look at others.