[Development] QUIP 12: Code of Conduct

Martin Smith Martin.Smith at qt.io
Sun Oct 28 13:08:49 CET 2018

>In any case, the current status quo, which is what I described, ends in either the
>community reacting or not reacting to the alleged offence (i.e. isolating the
>offensive party for example). That is A resolution, be it a good one or bad.

No, it isn't a resolution. Not reacting to a complaint is no resolution. But even if "the community" does react to the alleged offense, how is that different from mob rule?

>Not only can I, I pretty much have to.

No. You don't. You used the word "heinous." It has a meaning. You used it deliberately to draw attention away from the problems the CoC is meant to resolve. We don't need a CoC to deal with heinous offenses because heinous offenses are dealt with by the police.

>You can't defend the CoC's text and premise on the basis that my argument is
>unlikely, or extreme.

I'm not defending the CoC text and premise. I'm defending the goal of establishing a CoC.

>Not if they don't elevate to a criminal act.

My turn to bite. What is a heinous act that is not a criminal act?