[Development] QUIP 12: Code of Conduct

Lydia Pintscher lydia at kde.org
Mon Oct 29 16:57:43 CET 2018

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 3:11 PM Jason H <jhihn at gmx.com> wrote:
> Lydia,
>
> First, let me say I've stated my support of the KDE CoC. Thank you for your effort in it.
>
> But then you make a statement in your post script that demonstrates exactly what I'm talking about.  You stated  "some emails in this thread sadly make me see part of the project in a different light. I fear I'm not the only one."? Would you say the project has created fear in you and this has somehow "harmed" the project in some way? Who were these people that changed your mind? We need to identify these people and ban them because they are not casting the widest inclusive and protective audience and anything less than that is harm... Let the witch hunt begin... right?

Sorry. I seem to have been misunderstood here. As others have said at
the core a Code of Conduct should not be about banning anyone. That's
a measure of very last resort. A lot of work should be put in before
that happens. Talking, making aware of an issue, mediation, bringing
in a neutral third party, separating the parties and a lot of other
things are possible before that to address a problem. A Code of
Conduct should be as much about stating what a community wants to be
as about what it doesn't want. I think about it as a statement of
intent that broadcasts values to the rest of the world and gets shared
understanding in a community. Some communities then decide to add
rules and punishments for violations. Other decide to hand that over
to a committee or something similar.  There are pros and cons to
either.

Cheers
Lydia

KDE e.V. Board of Directors