[Development] Build system for Qt 6

Иван Комиссаров abbapoh at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 08:47:02 CET 2018

Иван Комиссаров

> 30 окт. 2018 г., в 4:34, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> написал(а):
>
>> On Monday, 29 October 2018 18:20:35 PDT NIkolai Marchenko wrote:
>> Lars, I have to wonder, don't you guys miss an opportunity here?
>> Qt 5 was not developed with QBS in mind.  As such it probably took more
>> effort than needed to fit QBS to something that was originally QMake based.
>>
>> At the same time you will have to fit CMake to suit the needs for Qt6.  (or
>> vice versa)
>>
>> Would it really be so much extra investment to have a build system fully
>> integrated into Qt framework process that you can just make fit on the fly,
>> over fiddling around the system that is overgeneralized and perhaps doesn't
>> support everything as much as you'd want?
>
> I'm not Lars.
>
> But yes.
>
> The Qt 6 organisation won't be too different from Qt 5's, aside from the
> changes that Lars and Tobias have already mentioned and that make a lot of
> sense to me. So I don't see how any kind of organisation will make it easier.
>
> More importantly, the problem is keeping that specific buildsystem working. If
> the work isn't shared and others don't pitch in, the price to pay to keep a
> Qt-only buildsystem working is too high: that's what Lars' email says.
>
> Finally, I'm sure any reasonable request we may have on something CMake
> doesn't support yet, upstream will be willing to hear us and implement where
> necessary. I quite frankly don't expect there to be much, especially since
> Lars' email says that they made so much progress in so little time.
>
>> You've said it yourself that qbs did give good results. Maybe give it a
>> chance?
>
> It's been given a chance. The wip/qbs branch has existed for years in qtbase.
> The tool has existed for years.
>
> Can you name any project of moderate complexity using it?

How about Qt creator? How about commercial projects?

But what I would like to ask is how about porting Qt Creator to cmake first, before porting Qt? Of course, this is not as fun as porting Qt but we can _compare_ all three build tools on that project. It is huge, uses code generation so it was a good playground for qbs. Why not use it as a playground for cmake? Then we'all have _numbers_ (speed, project files size and so on)