[Development] Qt Static Package

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Apr 29 19:04:25 CEST 2019

On Monday, 29 April 2019 08:36:09 PDT Ola Røer Thorsen wrote:
> man. 29. apr. 2019 kl. 17:20 skrev Thiago Macieira <
>
> thiago.macieira at intel.com>:
> > On Monday, 29 April 2019 00:27:14 PDT Mitch Curtis wrote:
> > > -static -release -ltcg -opensource -confirm-license -nomake tests
> > > -nomake
> > > examples -silent
> >
> > -static -ltcg is most definitely not redistributable. That build is only
> > usable in your exact machine, and only for so long as you don't perform a
> > system update.
>
> Why is that exactly? Do you mean the Qt libraries are not redistributable,
> or a final application built with it (also using lto)? Just curious.

The problem is the combination -static -ltcg.

Any LTCG .o can only be consumed by the exact toolchain you have in your
system. You can't upgrade it, much less change to a different Linux
distribution. I'd venture that changing *any* header used in the build is a
problem.

With -static, all those .o files get added to the .a that are distributed.
Since you can't even upgrade, allowing other users to use your output is a bad
idea.