[Development] Supported compilers for Qt 6

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Mon Aug 12 09:45:01 CEST 2019

On Monday, 12 August 2019 09:17:58 CEST Lars Knoll wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As mentioned in my blog, it would be good to move forward with the C++
> version we use for Qt 6 and ideally move it to C++17. That implies that we
> need to drop some older compilers for Qt 6. As 5.15 is going to be an LTS
> release, I don’t think this is going to be a huge problem.

> Here’s the baseline I would like to propose:
>
> VC++ 2019
> GCC 8
> Clang 6
> Apple Clang 10.0

Why not the latest for all the compilers, like gcc 9 and clang 8? I assumed we
would use the 5.15 LTS to justify requiring the latest available compiler on
all platforms.

Especially clang 6 is a bit old. I know for msvc-clang we already pretty much
assume clang-cl 8. But we have not automated testing of non-apple clang, so it
often breaks due to extra warnings or genuine clang bugs.

Best regards
'Allan