[Development] Supported compilers for Qt 6

Lars Knoll lars.knoll at qt.io
Mon Aug 12 09:58:39 CEST 2019

On 12 Aug 2019, at 09:45, Allan Sandfeld Jensen <kde at carewolf.com<mailto:kde at carewolf.com>> wrote:

On Monday, 12 August 2019 09:17:58 CEST Lars Knoll wrote:
Hi,

As mentioned in my blog, it would be good to move forward with the C++
version we use for Qt 6 and ideally move it to C++17. That implies that we
need to drop some older compilers for Qt 6. As 5.15 is going to be an LTS
release, I don’t think this is going to be a huge problem.

Here’s the baseline I would like to propose:

VC++ 2019
GCC 8
Clang 6
Apple Clang 10.0

Why not the latest for all the compilers, like gcc 9 and clang 8? I assumed we
would use the 5.15 LTS to justify requiring the latest available compiler on
all platforms.

I used the minimal version that seemed to be giving us decent C++17 support (according to https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/compiler_support).

I’d personally be favour of using newer version of gcc/clang, but I’m not sure we gain a lot with it, as Apple clang is then probably the limiting factor. But we could upgrade that to Apple Clang 11 as well.

So alternative proposal:

VC++ 2019
GCC 9
Clang 8
Apple Clang 11

Especially clang 6 is a bit old.

Clang 6 is just a bit over a year old... :)

I know for msvc-clang we already pretty much
assume clang-cl 8. But we have not automated testing of non-apple clang, so it
often breaks due to extra warnings or genuine clang bugs.

Yes. It would be good to have a build using standard clang in CI in the future. But that’s a separate topic :)

Cheers,
Lars