[Development] Qt PDF as a new TP module for Qt 5.14

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Aug 13 00:10:47 CEST 2019

Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Has any analysis been done comparing the feature and platform support, and
> codebase size, for PDFium versus Poppler?

I don't see what value a Poppler-based Qt PDF rewrite would bring us
considering that there is already a poppler-qt that can be used directly,
and is successfully used by applications such as Okular and qpdfview.

The existing implementation based on PDFium, on the other hand, provides us
with an alternative implementation, which application developers may prefer
for various reasons (one of which is licensing, as already pointed out).
This is an added value that does not already exist elsewhere. And the code
is already there. It only needs updating for the current PDFium.

        Kevin Kofler