[Development] Qt PDF as a new TP module for Qt 5.14

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Aug 13 02:06:20 CEST 2019

On Monday, 12 August 2019 15:10:47 PDT Kevin Kofler wrote:
> The existing implementation based on PDFium, on the other hand, provides us
> with an alternative implementation, which application developers may prefer
> for various reasons (one of which is licensing, as already pointed out).
> This is an added value that does not already exist elsewhere. And the code
> is already there. It only needs updating for the current PDFium.

Sure, but again, what are the cons of this? If we promote this module to the
main Qt, it means we are recommending people use it. I'd like to know if we're
promoting a good alternative.

If it has lots of problems rendering PDF or consumes lots of RAM or has some
other big drawback, we should either not promote it (keep it as an add-on) or
instead have a big disclaimer telling people to consider Poppler first.