[Development] Dropping MinGW support in Qt 6 (Was: HEADS-UP: QStringLiteral)

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Aug 21 21:54:11 CEST 2019

On Wednesday, 21 August 2019 12:29:29 PDT Massimo Callegari via Development
wrote:
> Instead, please consider switching to MSYS2 for Qt6

MSYS2 is Cygwin-like. It tries to emulate a Unix on Windows. It's great for
porting Unix software to Windows and I love that it gives me a bash and pacman
for when I need to develop on Windows. But it's emulation, like:
https://github.com/Alexpux/Cygwin/blob/master/winsup/cygwin/fork.cc

Native Windows software, which Qt on Windows is, shouldn't use that. MinGW is
supposed to be *actual* Windows.