[Development] Dropping MinGW support in Qt 6 (Was: HEADS-UP: QStringLiteral)

Ola Røer Thorsen ola at silentwings.no
Wed Aug 21 23:10:29 CEST 2019

ons. 21. aug. 2019 kl. 20:54 skrev Henry Skoglund <henry at tungware.se>:

> I've switched from VS to MinGW, the #1 reason: I can distribute an .exe
> file which is runnable directly on the user's desktop (no installation).
> This is *verboten* when using VS, you have to send along the
> distribution dlls (ucrtbase.dll etc.) and install them.

Agreed. I cross-build completely statically linked Qt quick apps on Linux
using mingw-w64 and share them (.exe only, no DLLs) to colleagues who only
run windows. Very useful! So I would not vote for requiring MSYS2 or
similar if it would mean the end of cross building Windows apps on Linux
(if I've understood what MSYS2 is correctly).

I would not however mind upgrading the compiler/toolchain if my particular
one was too old for some future Qt version.

Cheers,
Ola