[Development] Dropping MinGW support in Qt 6 (Was: HEADS-UP: QStringLiteral)

Kyle Edwards kyle.edwards at kitware.com
Wed Aug 21 23:34:42 CEST 2019

On Wed, 2019-08-21 at 17:25 -0400, Kyle Edwards wrote:
> If you don't own the copyright, and you can't get permission from the
> copyright holder, then my guess would be no, unless you can
> successfully argue that the MSVC runtime *is* a system library (even
> though it's not distributed with Windows.)

Looks like the FSF has weighed in on this exact topic:

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WindowsRuntimeAndGPL

You can link a GPL program against the MSVC runtime and claim it as a
system library, but you cannot then distribute the MSVC runtime with
your application. The user would have to download the runtime
themselves... which defeats the entire purpose of this exercise.

Kyle