[Development] Dropping MinGW support in Qt 6 (Was: HEADS-UP: QStringLiteral)

Kyle Edwards kyle.edwards at kitware.com
Wed Aug 21 23:25:46 CEST 2019

On Wed, 2019-08-21 at 22:43 +0200, Kai Pastor, DG0YT wrote:
> Is it possible to distribute a GPL-3 licensed application this way?
> After all, these DLLs are neither system libraries nor are they are
> offered under compatible terms.

IANAL. If you own the copyright then you can of course license it under
GPL-3 with an exception to allow linking to the MSVC runtime.

If you don't own the copyright, and you can't get permission from the
copyright holder, then my guess would be no, unless you can
successfully argue that the MSVC runtime *is* a system library (even
though it's not distributed with Windows.)

Kyle